How Do You Use TikTok As A Brand Marketing Tool?
An app that started as a fun pastime for teenagers to upload their videos, karaoke their favorite numbers, today has become one of
An app that started as a fun pastime for teenagers to upload their videos, karaoke their favorite numbers, today has become one of the most popular tools in digital marketing. TikTok videos have rapidly emerged as a crucial component of a brand’s marketing needs.
What is TikTok?
It was originally launched in 2012 by a Beijing-based company ByteDance is a video-sharing app on social networks, and the app was operational only in China. In the market outside of China, the app was launched in 2017 and this was made available on all iOS and Android devices. The concept behind the app was to create short music videos, short dance videos, comedy, lip-sync, and other talent-based videos, especially by and for the young generation.
The popularity of the app
In the words of Stefan Heinrich, TikTok’s Head of Global Marketing,
If I go as a marketer to another platform I get likes, shares, or comments. If I get a video on TikTok, I get 20 to 30 minutes of a person’s time to create and share.
Today, TikTok has become one of the most downloaded apps in the app store. It has become a popular non-game app and is also ahead of Instagram in terms of its downloaded numbers. It’s pure creativity how you can make yourself popular in a small video by using various filters, music, visual effects, video editing tools, and other nifty features available on the app.
It has been downloaded more than 1 billion times, and at present has seen almost 500 million monthly active users across 150 countries.
TikTok has taken the world of social media marketing world by storm
While Facebook, Instagram, Twitter are widely popular for marketing purposes, we cannot ignore the importance of TikTok in today’s time. In fact, TikTok marketing has become the new Influencer marketing. While millennials prefer other social media platforms, TikTok has gained importance among Gen Z. This group stays online for over 10 hours a day and offers lucrative business prospects.
How do you use TikTok as a marketing tool?
Some successful brands that are using TikTok include names like GUESS, Calvin Klein, Sony, FIFA, HP, and many more. Influencer marketing campaigns using TikTok have been conducted by Calvin Klein, Sony, and FIFA. The digital sales of Chitpole have grown 99% since last year using TikTok.
Some marquee TikTok Marketing Techniques:
- Promote brands/products with trending hashtags. Trending hashtags offer a better chance to attract consumer attention. While ‘like’ and ‘comment’ features are available on other platforms, TikTok has the ‘duet’ feature that allows users to reply with a video reply when they like a video, and this gives a chance to the users to promote their business as well. A TikTok video for your business can help in maintaining regular communication with your clients.
- The latest Influencer Marketing medium: TikTok is actually convenient for self-expression and to display your creativity in the best possible way. Today, it is not only limited to a music-video app, rather it can be used as an important influencer marketing platform.
- Make use of In-feed Native Ads: TikTok has recently started with advertising using in-feed native ads. These look like stories similar to those on Instagram, where you can insert the company’s website link or an order button and other similar features.
- Hashtag Challenge Ads are equally popular: Here, brands display a banner ad, lay some rules and regulations to participate in its challenge, and get the challenge trending with using hashtags. GUESS popularized its brand on TikTok with the hashtag #InMyDenim campaign.
- Brand Takeover Ads. Short videos or pics/images are displayed, which when clicked takes you to the brand’s home page.
- User participation on TikTok. This has become the most engaging marketing strategy. Here, it becomes easier for users to post content on the trending topic displayed by the brand.
TikTok is comparatively new in the digital marketing world. However, within a short time, it has been able to create significant enthusiasm, unprecedented reach, and high engagement. It may not lead to direct selling immediately, but TikTok definitely creates brand awareness. With each passing month, the platform is gaining popularity. Especially, if the target audience of your business is anyone in the age group of 13 to 30 years, a TikTok marketing strategy may prove to be a hit.